12.16.2009

inspired: christmas decor

Before I show off our lovely Christmas decorations, I thought I'd give you a sneak peek into my inspirations and motivations.

First, nothing says Christmas to me like red. To some this may seem a little closed-minded. I've seen so many beautiful Christmas scenes this year with a variety of color schemes: all white, blues, vintage pinks, tropical, etc. I can appreciate these choices and I even think they're lovely in other people's homes, but to me, my house isn't festive unless there is lots of red, with touches of green, white and silver thrown in for good measure.

Second, is to keep things simple. In case it isn't obvious in pictures, our house is t.i.n.y. Too much decor quickly overwhelms the space. So we try to create a balance between festive and calm.

Below are some of the images that have completely inspired me on my decorating quest this season.


Rustic and natural. Simply and quite lovely.


So pretty. All white and glowy: what an amazing way to add a festive glow to a room.


Drooling over this mantle arrangement.


I sort of love this idea. It's eye-catching and festive in a completely non-traditional way.


My idea of holiday serenity.


Yes, please. Love the colors. And, just the touch of sparkle.


I love this idea - picture it with red and white, or red and lime green felt. It would look great garnishing mantles, bookshelves, or even your tree.


And, oh these paper snowflakes make my heart sing! Maybe Chris and I can have activity time this weekend :).


**images via Martha, House Beautiful, Eddie Ross, Design Sponge & Bugs and Fishes**

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day! Thanks for stopping by and sharing! :)