4.11.2011

{create} chalkboard vase

Update 8/2/11: I'm submitting this post to the Pinterest challenge, because before Pinterest was all the rage, I had this little project tagged on the site to remember to actually make it. And sure enough, a few weeks later, I actually did! I can't say all my *to make* projects have been successful, or even attempted, but I do love this one. Thanks for stopping by! And, if you'd like to follow me on Pinterest, I can be found here


Happy Monday all! Did you have a good weekend? I missed you all on Friday! But, the sun was out, the temperature hit 65 degrees in Portland and, considering this was the first nice AND warm day we'd seen since last October, I didn't have it in me to sit in front of a computer. So I went outside and played instead and it was completely lovely :).

Today, I have a fun do-it-yourself project to share. A couple weeks ago I saw that Terrain is carrying these adorable chalkboard vases:
I immediately thought: um, I could make that. Do you guys do that? I do it ALL. THE. TIME. In fact, that thought keeps me from buying a lot of stuff, even though I usually never do make said item. So, I guess that's my internal budgeting feature kicking in :). BUT, I LOVED these vases and I did actually make my own.

I think they turned out super cute, so I wanted to share a quick and easy how-to + couple ideas how to use them, so you too can have cute chalkboard vases this spring.

First, I gathered a few glasses, jars, wine bottles, etc. that we had lying around the house and gave them a good washing.

Then, I coated them with an oil-based primer. We haven't had the springiest-spring (see first paragraph), so I went with a brush and paint route, rather than spray paint. Either would work for this project.

For paint, I grabbed a couple Martha Stewart sample pots from Home Depot and painted a few coats of each on both the outside and inside. I really like the look of the painted inside and outside of the vase.

Then I just taped off where I wanted the chalkboard paint and painted two coats on each bottle. Make sure you read the directions on the chalkboard paint. It gave very specific dry and re-coat times. I was a little worried about pulling the tape off, but it came up great and neither the background paint or the chalkboard paint chipped.

So once you've made the vases, what can you do with them? Here's a few ideas:
1. Use them as a centerpiece.

Put a couple sprigs of flowers in each vase, group them together and you have an arrangement that's both springy and graphic.

This is how my vases are currently hanging out in our kitchen.

2. Place settings
I would love to use these as place settings at my next dinner party or family holiday gathering.

Each person could take their own vase and flower home, which would be an adorable gift to give your family and friends.

I think this idea would also work so well for wedding place settings/favors. They were incredibly inexpensive to make -- especially with the *recycled* glass. And, I, personally, would love to take something like this home from a wedding!




3. Give away to friends to brighten their day.
I've surprised a couple friends with flowers over the last week or so. They're a great *happy new home*, *thanks for inviting us over* or even just *happy spring!*

How would you use chalkboard vases?

17 comments:

  1. So fun! I love the look of those vases!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do that all the time too! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg love love love love love. I gotta go to a thrift store and see if I can find some cheap glass vases.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds like the perfect kinda day, no wonder you didn't stay cooped up - good for you on taking a little break outdoors to play!

    i love how you think, i'm totally not as crafy and resourceful as you girl so those thoughts rarely come to mind but how you act on them rocks! the diy looks brill. happy monday. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that! That looks awesome! I'm saving that to Evernote! :) Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love this! such cute place cards!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely love this idea! I've been wanting to try out chalkboard paint for a while, and I have so many mason jars and vases lying around. Such a fun project :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jenn, Those are just adorable and how funny that we were both on the same chalkboard wavelength!!!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm coming to dinner tomorrow =) haha I never get flowers! you're such a sweet friend! I love making vases like these! yours came out diviiine! <3

    xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooooh ahhhh! Such a simple clever idea! They turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this idea! So simple, cute and I love how you can personalize it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ooooooh! what a nice idea! it's so original and cute, you are an artist!

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE THESE so much!!! And I love that chevron pattern placemat too! This is definitely such a nice idea for gifts, what a sweet idea! & Thanks for popping over and say congrats with the school stuff. Seriously I feel like an elephant is off my shoulders! ;))))
    xoxo
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a cute idea! And I love your place settings. To die for.

    xo Catharine @ Your Modern Couple

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a cute Idea! I will def. have to pick up some vases on my next Goodwill shopping excursion.

    form2form.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! Thanks for stopping by and sharing! :)