4.18.2011

{renovate} back entry reveal!

Update 9/13/11: I am updating this post a bit and submitting it to Abode Love's Roomspiration party! Please pop over and take a look at all the great linked up entryways :).



It is a GREAT day! The sun is shining and over the weekend I saved all my lovely back entry photos from their hostage: the camera. Which means: BACK ENTRY REVEAL! I'm so excited about this reveal. Seriously. This has been a labor of love for both me and Chris. And, I realized this weekend, it's the first actual *construction* project we've tackled. Needless to say, it's boosted our home confidence a notch, and makes dealing with other scary house projects (I'm looking at you bathroom) a little less daunting.

Without further ado, here's a reminder of the before of all befores. What the room looked like when I moved in, circa 2008. Primer white, nasty torn linoleum, an extra fridge (?), a door that didn't fit and dirty, dirty, dirty:

And, here's our new back entry!
Light, clean, open and even a little spacious feeling :).

Here's the room just before we started the project. When we were *making-due* till we could tackle it:

And, today:
We painted the entire room, added board and batten, new tile, and painted the door for a fun burst of color. We added hooks for hanging coats and my purses and a bench for plopping things down on when we walk in the door. New artwork adds some personality and a potted plant adds some life.

The ceiling before:
A previous roof leek had bubbled and damaged the existing paint (luckily, not the plaster), and the brass chain light was falling out of the ceiling:

Ceiling now:
Newly painted ceiling, and shiny new light. You might remember that I specified a Schoolhouse Electric light on the mood board. Sadly, it didn't work out this time. Chris had found the fixture a few years ago on super discount, and we'd saved it for this room, but none of the Schoolhouse Electric shades I wanted fit into the fixture. We looked at buying an all new fixture + shade, but it was close to $200. In the end, the $5 shade from Home Depot was just too good to pass up. But, mark my words, I will one day own a Schoolhouse  Electric fixture :).

Stairs before:
The stairs at the beginning of the project. Originally, they were actually carpeted (with the same horrible blue as the hallway/back bedroom), I just don't have a picture. They sat like this, though, for a couple years, so they're an accurate before :).

Stairs today:

Details:
As I mentioned, we painted the door blue for a lovely little pop. It's by far the best part of the room. We LOVE it. The sign above the door we picked up at an adorable antique store on our annual birthday trip last year. We have no idea where E. Lake Ct. is, but we love the graphic nature of the sign, and it reminds us both of that super fun trip.

This little red tray was an afterthought. It quickly became apparent that the bench would be huge mess if we didn't corral keys, wallets, movies to return, etc. I was so excited when I remembered this tray! It was a wedding gift from someone I absolutely adore, but I'd never found the right place for it. Not wanting to get rid of it (and, that is how I roll. If we aren't using something, I usually donate it), I'd stored it away. Turns out, it was simply waiting for it's new home in our back entry! 

I didn't want to spend a lot of $$$ on art. I LOVED the art that I pulled for the mood board. I actually ordered the Kite Hill print, but Chris and I agreed that it just doesn't look right in this room. I already have other plans for it, so look for it popping up in a different room :). I framed a piece of my favorite chevron fabric, and pulled this letterpress print from the living room. It's way better here. As for the Make You Own Path art, I loved the actual letter press, but it would've been WAY too small for the space. So, I made my own using a bike map of Portland and letters printed at my local Fast Signs. I really like how it came out, but there are a few things I'd do different next time. Live and learn, right? :)

Close up of the art.

Close up of the small shelf that wraps all around the room.

I'll be honest, sometimes I just sit on the stairs admiring the room. And, the blue door. Thanks for all your support over the last 3 (THREE!) months of this project! You guys were so great and patient through all the updates and seemingly endless amount of time it took. HAPPY MONDAY!

If you'd like to read more about this 3-month project, go here, here and here.

43 comments:

  1. Oh My Gosh, Jenn! It is beautiful!! Your hard work really paid off in this room. The details y'all added are lovely and it's amazing that you touched nearly every single surface with a hammer or paintbrush (or both)! I LOVE the art, the door, the b&b... it's all AMAZING!
    Great job. :)
    Meredith @ Welcome to Heardmont

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful!! You did a fabulous job. The door colour is great. My hubby and I are considering board & batten for our bathroom, but he's worried it'll be too much work. This makes me want to do it even more. Your end result is divine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your new back entry Jenn! It looks like a completely different room and everything coordinates so well together! Love it and love your style!! So happy for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, it's truly amazing Jenn. You guys did such a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. I just shared this on my Facebook page!

    http://www.facebook.com/twobecomeoneblog

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing short of AMAZING! I love everything about this! So, so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous work! I love it!

    And now I want to paint the inside of my door turquoise. What's the paint color that you used?

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW!!!!! This is so fabulous! Congratulations on a great job! I am totally going to steal your small shelf idea for our upstairs bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so awesome and totally inspiring! I hope J and I can DIY like you and Chris when we finally own our own (haha) home :)

    That blue door is my absolute favorite part!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, it all looks wonderful! What an amazing transformation. Love that turquoise color you chose for the door. Wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow, you guys should be so proud of yourselves -- the space is magazine worthy! my favorite parts are the stairs and the door, love the blue. wow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The blue back door makes the room! Looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely gorgeous! So much to love, where do I begin? I love the door, the wall color, the stairs, the coat!, the light fixture. Wonderful! So inspiring, I want to go downstairs and continue working on things now :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful project, I love the look of the stairs and the molding!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for all the sweet comments ladies! :)

    I can't believe how much I love the blue door. Little unexpected touches really do make a big difference!

    @Sarah, the blue is Ralph Lauren's Shoreline Blue.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Wow! What a transformation! I just love that painted stairs! They are gorgeous! The whole space looks so sunny and cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The whole area is completely amazing and beautiful. Great job. It should be in a magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fantastic work! It looks great. so much for cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow Jenn, the change is increible!!! so awesome!!! You done really good job!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. *SWOON*

    you. are. my. hero! Ohmygosh I want your help with my office even more now!!! Though you've always inspired the crap out of me!

    I love every single itty bit of this! go girl! send this to iheartorganizing b/c she totally needs to feature you! amazing!!!!

    xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congrats on the Design*Sponge feature! Looks great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. saw this on D*S today.... you did a beautiful job! I'm so jealous!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ok, seriously? How did I miss this entire post? Geez. This is proof that I'm not keeping up with my favorite blogs well :(
    ANYWAY, way to go! This transformation is killer. You should be seriously proud of it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Jenn this transformation is perfection! Your board & batten looks amazing, thanks so much for sharing this with me today!
    xo
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  25. Jenn, I love this! Do you have a tutorial on how you updated your stairs? They look immaculate!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi, I'm popping in from Rene's. This is a gorgeous welcome home!! Such a great before and after! Oh, and I think the light is perfect for that space.

    ReplyDelete
  27. That is one fabulous back entry! Practical and so very pretty with great details. And what a huge change (and a lot of work) from the befores.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Here from Cottage and Vine! Wow... what a great entry! I'm settling in to read through your archives!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This room is perfection!!! Seriously I am jealous! The board and batten, the decor, the gorgeous blue door, and the stairs. You didn't leave out one detail. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What an amazing transformation! I can truly understand why you would sit and stare at that little room. :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow! What a great before & after! The space is so fun and fresh and the perfect balance of old & new. And by the way, the door is perfect!

    Thanks so much for joining the party!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love it!! You did such a great job! So many charming touches and I love the color of the door. I would love to enter my home through an entry like this!

    ReplyDelete
  33. this looks amazing! I love the board and batten, the blue door and all the accessories you have picked out

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi, just came over from Rene's and am SOOO glad I did. What an awesome, fresh, functional space. Love all your choices--colors, bench, wall, art, light!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great colors and the wainscoting adds so much.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  36. That's a beautiful room. I love the door and the shelving around the room as well as the artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I think you've done an amazing job with that room -- I love everything you did especially the blue door and the sign!

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Jenn, I love this space, and the blue door is such a fun and unexpected touch! I'd love to add this to the paint and room galleries on my site and include you in a feature post. Let me know if you're interested! Oh, and what are the wall and door colors? They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I would sit and stare, too...it's gorgeous!

    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  40. WOW. What a transformation!! I absolutely love it. I can't pick a favorite, it's such a perfect (and functional!) little room.

    ReplyDelete
  41. You win the prize! (not sure what the prize is but this is good) you two have a great sense of color and style! Congrat's on great choices and beautiful workmanship!

    ReplyDelete
  42. So gorgeous!

    We have a less-than-beautiful back porch area that houses our laundry appliances. We've been talking for a couple of years about turning it into a half bath but of course have never gotten around to it so in the meantime it's SO DARN UGLY. Maybe I'll take a page out of your book (err, blog) and spend some time beautifying it.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I love the colors and textures you chose for your entry. Makes me wish I had a real entry into my house!

    Erin @ The Great Indoors

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! Thanks for stopping by and sharing! :)