If you follow me on twitter or instagram (@jennmccormick), you may have noticed that I spent most of last week in Atlanta at the Haven Conference. Friends, it was such an amazing conference and I feel incredibly lucky that I was able to go. For those of you who haven't heard of it, Haven is a conference for home bloggers. This was the first year, but the response was so fantastic and I'd be very surprised if it wasn't back next year in an even bigger and better capacity.
The Haven "living room"
1. Atlanta is HOT. Yeah, I haven't spent a lot of time in the south ;).
2. John and Sherry (above) from Young House Love are incredibly funny.
3. I don't need to have a super huge blog to think about advertising and work with brands. This was a lightbulb moment. I have a tendency to get really caught up in the numbers.
4. Tripod. Need to get one asap.
5. The four s's of styling, according to Layla: skooch it, scorch it, swap it and stamp it.
6. SEO is a complicated and crazy thing: use keywords, especially in headlines, section headers and in the first 150 words of text.
7. A blog header's size should be no bigger than 1000 pixels by 250 pixels.
8. Firebug is a Firefox extension that let's you view code on other people's websites. Brilliant.
Josh and Kevin from Shoot Fly Shoot teaching us about taking killer photos. See the slide?? ;)
10. Steps for taking manual photos: set ISO and forget about it. Set aperature and forget about it. Adjust shutter speed to make image brighter or darkers.
11. Ashley (above) from Design Build Love was my roommate and is awesome! Seriously friends, go check out her blog :).
12. When layering a few different patterned fabrics in a room, repeat the fabrics: ottoman + a pillow or drapes + a pillow, etc. This helps it look cohesive.
13. Find 5-7 words that describe how you want a room to feel, to look and the purpose it serves. Be specific and honest.
14. Everyone has a "don't buy" word. Find yours and stick to it. For example, cute, pretty, good deal, etc. I had never thought about this, but it's SO TRUE!
15. Sarah, Beth, Chris, Rhoda, Kate, Marian, (pictured in order) Traci and Kristi are wonderful party planners and hosts.
16. There is an amazingly large amount of creativity and talent in the blog-o-sphere.
17. The Haven sponsors were incredibly generous, and I came home with everything from Annie Sloan chalk paint to a feather duster :).
You'll hear more about Haven over the next few months as I implement the million + one ideas I have from attending. But in the meantime, if you have any questions about any of the 17 points, or would like me to expand on one, just let me know.