9.28.2011

{inspired} striped walls

So, I have an idea. I've been rolling it around in my head for awhile (like, for the last year!), but I think I'm gonna go for it. I want to stripe my hallway. 

{Hallway currently}

Every October, Chris goes to California for a couple days. Which means, every October I take on a painting project that's a complete surprise to him. My boldest yet was painting our bedroom dark gray. Now, there is nothing wrong with our current hallway. I basically just have an itch to stripe something and I think it would look great in our hallway. Are there a million other projects I should be finishing first? Um, YES: I'm looking at you back porch and sewing room. But, really, I'm sure we can all agree that updating your home is nothing if not a little chaotic and non-linear.

Of course, I've been eyeing gorgeously striped rooms on Pinterest.

I'm leaning towards subtle stripes. They're gorgeous.
 

But, it's hard to deny that bold stripes are just completely amazing.

Especially when I see this hallway.





I found this great tutorial today over at Honey and Fitz. I don't plan on creating gradiated stripes (although hers are amazing), but I really like Dina's technique.

So, I think I'm all set. I just need to decide: to stripe BOLD or to strip SUBTLE
Any suggestions friends?


15 comments:

  1. LOVE IT!!!! I inspired a client I am working with (whose kitchen I posted today) to do stripes in her foyer! And I need to find a place in my home to try it...can't wait to see how yours turn out!

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh...tough call but I think I'd go with subtle stripes. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. GO FOR IT! Just posted photos of our grey/white striped nursery today. The subtle contrast stripes really play up the wood grain in the floors (and you have some lovely floors in that hallway of yours). The taping process was a total PITA but the end result made it all worthwhile!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooh hard choice!!! I like BOLD and SUBTLE! eee! good luck!@!!!! =)cant wait to see it!

    ahhh and im so glad i'm back! ive missed you so!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of doing the stripes in a subtle gray/blue and cream. What colors are the rooms that are close to the hallway??

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! We share a brain - I JUST saw that multi striped blue room on pinterest today. I can't WAIT to see what you choose. I love the bold colors for sure but don't know how to decide whether or not to do them. Does it matter if the space is small? Do bolder colors make a hallway feel smaller? Or do they make them more AWESOME? Either way, you can't go wrong seeing as the inspiration pix are all stunning!
    xoxo
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think for the hallway, I'd do subtle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. you should totally do this. i LOVE the light grey & white stripe. i would love to do this in our upstairs hallway but the ceiling is CRAZY high - it would be a real chore.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm all for it - you will love it. And if you tire of them in a year, you just paint over them - not bad, right? I did stripes in our living room and I LOVE them. For some pretty subtle statement stripes, have you seen Fran from Green Street's hallway or Abby from A Delightful Design's hallway? Both are really great if you're looking for soft greys. Can't wait to hear (and see) your stripes in action.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did stripes in my laundry room in a subtle beige color and I looooove it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My vote is subtle--love that picture of the subtle stripes that you posted. Such a cool but understated look. If I had to live in the house with the dark blue stripes in the hallway--well, I'd paint:) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like the grey rugby stripes (second to last photo). They're pretty different than what I've seen out there, and I think they're still young and cool!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I adore this idea... and I think that slight curve in your hallway means it would add additional interest in the stripe pattern and not feel too "tunnely." (technical term) I'm all for BOLD, but if you're nervous you could always go subtle first, with the intention of deepening it if you want more.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tough call, but I say subtle:). Can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oooohhh striped walls! I like the subtle look!

    LrnM Design

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! Thanks for stopping by and sharing! :)