2.11.2011

{inspired} baby gifts

Have you noticed how many Hollywood stars are pregnant right now? Well, the same thing is happening in my circle of friends. EVERYONE is pregnant. Is this true of your friends too? I remember in college hearing that major milestones would happen in waves. Everyone would get married in one big wave. The next wave would bring a huge round of pregnancies. But, all my friends from college were married over the span of 10 years. We never had a huge round of marriages, so I expected the wave of babies would be equally as spread out. I was so wrong. My best friend and I counted 20 mutual pregnant friends a couple months ago. TWENTY! What this means for me: lots of baby shower invites, lots of baby gifts to buy, and lots of questions about when Chris and I are having a kiddo :). Um, not yet!

So today I thought I'd share some cute ideas/products I've run across in my hunt for creative and memorable baby gifts. Just in case any of you are in the same place with your group of friends. If you're not? Don't worry, it's coming. There's something in the water these days ;).

By the way, I'm allergic to big baby box stores like Babies R' Us. I'm sure that'll change once I get pregnant and I see how convenient they are, but for nowI really prefer to buy from Etsy or cute local kiddo stores. 

One of my favorite *brands* to buy is Dwell Studios.
I can't help it. I'm sure I'm just projecting, because I love Dwell. But really, their patterns and color palettes are just spot on amazing. Expensive, yes. But a bib here or a stuffed animal there is completely worth it in my book.


And of course Etsy is a never ending wealth of amazing hand made, creative baby gifts.


I have bought some form of this onesy/tee for every friend. Katie, the owner, is a friend of mine here in Portland, and I just love her products. They are so creative and all the moms-to-be have loved them too.


Don't you just want to cuddle up in this blanket? It looks sooooo soft. Perfect for a sweet new baby.


I died the first time I saw these. How cute! Everyone needs diapers, cloth is so sustainable and wrapped up as little cupcakes?? Yes please! I also think they'd be cute as a *cupcake* display if you're hosting a baby shower.


Such a great take on a stuffed animal. The fabric is so modern and cheery. Love it!

What are your recommendations for great baby gifts? Do you have a lot of friends pregnant right now? Or is this just some freaky west coast phenom? 

Happy Friday friends! Thanks for stopping by and brightening my week with all your sweet comments. Have a great weekend :)

12 comments:

  1. Those are so cute, especially the tree onesie!

    I was one of the first of my friends to get married, so no babies yet, but a lot of coworkers and people I know through work are pregnant or have young babies so I agree with you, it is definitely going around :)

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister-in-law just found out she's pregnant, these are such great ideas! Love that little owl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a not-so-teeny obsession with dwell studios! These are super cute! I hope someone buys my future rugrats (nope not preggo yet!) adorableness like this!

    xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooo, anyone I know?

    I'm knitting a blanket for my niece. But if you don't have the time to be crafty - or don't know how to knit/crochet - I always go practical. Big o' box of diapers, wipes, bath stuff like lotions, diaper creme, anything the parents would use over and over again and might need a lot of are always appreciated I've found.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're so right! I know so many pregnant people of all ages. Very interesting. I love the onsie and the giraffe!
    Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those "baby cakes" are so cute!!!

    One of my favorite sites for baby stuff is Nico and Zoe (http://www.nicoandzoe.com/).

    ReplyDelete
  7. isn't dwell the best?! love pretty much everything they design and owl plushie is too cute!

    i only have but 1 friendo that's pregnant right now but you're right...the stars have been drinking "that" water perhaps. and i'd way rather have a crafted or unique piece like you say, instead of the big box kind. good call.

    happy weekend to you lades! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the cupcake idea! Another great article Jenn!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jenn

    so you are thinking about having a child? hehehe... your post it's just so cute... I really love these baby cakes

    ReplyDelete
  10. That giraffe is adorable!! I know about 15 expecting or brand new moms, holy moly!! Thanks for the fun gift ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There is something in the water. Sip carefully. Wink.

    Here's what I'm loving now:

    http://www.maptote.com/shop/category/onesie/

    (If only they had a Portland version!)

    http://www.bellamuse.com/tshirts/on002lpnut.html

    (I have seen this in person...to die for!).

    Hope you had a wonderful Love Day.

    Leigha

    ReplyDelete
  12. I didn't know you lived in portland! how cool. If you don't know already there are some GREAT places on Hawthorne to shop for kids.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! Thanks for stopping by and sharing! :)