2.14.2011

{renovate} back entry

Happy Monday and Happy Valentine's Day! I'm not a big Valentine's Day gal. Most years I try to do something I a little special and out of the ordinary (cute card, breakfast in bed, etc.), but I totally forgot this year. Um, yeah. Wife of the year much?? :)

We actually have a pretty big project happening in our house right now, though. So in honor of Valentine's Day, I thought I'd preview the *love* we've been showing our house lately.

This is our back entry. A mud room of sorts. While Chris and I are the only two people, really, who walk through that door, the area opens up to our kitchen. So you're looking directly into the back entry when you walk from the living room into the kitchen. And friends, it ain't purdy. This is what it looked like when I moved in. Yes, that's a fridge on the left. And yes, that was the second fridge in a 10-foot space (there was already one in the kitchen). If you look close, you can see how poorly the door fit. Like, not at all. That space at the top right let in a LOT of air.

We immediately got rid of the second fridge. And last summer we got a new door. That's where the fun stopped. This is what the entry has looked like for the past 8 months. (Insert, in your mind, a cute black bench next to the locker.)

Oh, and these are the stairs that somewhere a long the way we ripped carpet off. We decided after the first of the year we need to just get this done so we can move on. It's a super small space, we've just been intimidated by the not straight, or flat, walls. So we came up with a plan of attack that doesn't involve hanging dry wall (yah!) and have been working on it for the past couple weekends.

First we demoed. Don't I look thrilled?! ;)  Under the linoleum was 80 year old tile (hence the mask)!

All done!

Chris' best friend is a general contractor, and this weekend he came over and helped so, so much. The main thing we accomplished? Tearing apart the rickety stairs, tightening them and putting them all back together. Not so glamorous, but very essential to our home's well being.

There will be more updates to come! I'm excited to show you paint colors, curtain fabric and wall finishes. You know, all the fun stuff!

10 comments:

  1. Ooo what a fun project (even if it is time consuming and hard work)! Can't wait to see the rest :)

    Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenn,
    I can't wait to see what you do with it. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you are showering your home with lots of love. I have to agree with the other comments, I can't wait to see how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are some sexy knee pads. I have a pair myself. And they always brings the boys to the yard. Methinks that could be a Valentine's surprise ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. bahaha you look estatic! =)

    ahhhh I want to see more! <3 Happy Vday!!!!

    xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so fun to watch your house transform! I love your creative ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. awe jenn you are too cute and don't beat yourself up over lack of v-day memory. neither of us did the cards this year either, no biggy. there's plenty of other love times going around anyways and hey you two have home renos on your minds.

    top priority and coming along splendidly too i might add! ♥

    pea ess: you look adorable in your little mask. xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck on your project! Can't wait to see the updates.

    xo Laura
    www.brightboldbeautiful.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jenn! Just found your blog through Design*Sponge, and so glad I did!! My husband and I are renovating our 1938 cottage-style home and you are such an inspiration. Thanks again for blogging this before + after :)

    (Would love to hear how you do your inspiration boards if you have time)

    Cheers,
    Erin
    www.chiccottagecharm.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jenn,

    I found your blog through Design*Sponge, and I'm so glad I did! My husband and I are renovating our 1938 cottage-style house and blogging about it, and you are such an inspiration! LOVE this before + after - great work. IF you have time, would love to hear how you do your design boards...

    Cheers,
    Erin
    www.chiccottagecharm.com

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! Thanks for stopping by and sharing! :)