2.18.2011

{renovate} a house history

Part of the fun of renovating a house is learning it's history. Each layer you peel back reveals a different era, and it's fun - and sometimes incredibly funny (!) - to discover previous owner's decorating choices.

I mentioned on Monday that Chris' best friend, and his wife, came over to help us with the back entry. Erika and I were planning on helping the boys, but it turns out the space is WAY too small for all four of us. We were ready to get our hands dirty and had no project! So Erika suggested we pull up my hallway carpet. Girl is crazy ambitious. 

Background: See, when Chris moved in, he pulled carpet out of the living room and front bedroom. But nasty, stained, baby blue carpet remains in the hallway and the back bedroom. He thought there was tile under the carpet, and then for sure hardwoods under the tile.

Turns out, it wasn't tile under the carpet. It was some sort of vintage linoleum/plastic material ... with fun shapes in-layed!

First up, crescent moon and star. And further down the hallway ....

A compass. You know, just in case we get lost walking out of our bedroom in the morning. Friends, it was hilarious, and completely weird and creepy at the same time.

Do you think it leads to a buried treasure in our house?! :)  We're thinking this was 60's/early 70's style. All I know is I can't wait to see what's under the carpet in the back bedroom! 

Hope you all have a super weekend!


9 comments:

  1. Oh wow that's crazy! Sort of reminds me of Lost for some reason which makes it sort of creepy...

    Now what are you going to do with it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. KT that's exactly what I thought. And it is a little creepy so we took pics, laughed and tore it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How crazy is that. I am hoping you will find a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, that is COMPLETELY awesome! Please tell me you are going to keep it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found your blog via Peas & Crayons. I'm terrified to find out too much about my home. I'm worried that I'll find out it's falling apart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah ...NO! HA! It's already gone :)
    Christine ... Thanks for stopping by and saying hi!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that's bizarre! We pulled up our flooring only to find lime green vinyl underneath...it was hideous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is freaking awesome and makes me a little sad that I didn't have anything as awesome under our vinyl we ripped up. Just more vinyl and then eventually concrete slab.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! Thanks for stopping by and sharing! :)