8.18.2011

{create} pelmet boxes, take two

We're moving along slowly, but surely, on our office/craft room makeover. It's been awhile since I've shown you anything, so I thought today would a great day for an update.

As a reminder, here's what we started with:

 Ew. That's all.


And then we tore out the nasty carpet, covered the phlegm-toned paint with a nice greige neutral and had a completely blank canvas with which to play. (You can read all about that project here.)

Here's the mood board I created for the room. I've already shown you the painted file cabinet, the orange light, and the inspiration board I made with the orange stripey fabric. 

So, today we're going to talk about the lovely floral fabric in terms of pelmet boxes!

The brown woven blinds have hung in the room's two windows since Chris was a bachelor. Not a bad choice, husband :). But there was a weird space at the top that just looked ... amateur. My initial thought was to hang full length curtains around each window. But there were two problem with this. First, it didn't solve the weird space at the top issue. Second, there is a LOT of furniture in this TINY room. I was really worried that curtains, although beautiful, would completely overwhelm the space. That's when I came up with the pelmet box idea. I've been really happy with the box we created for our kitchen window. It add a nice dose of color, texture and interest, which is exactly what I was looking for in this room.

 Here's a glimpse of my craft space. I think the fabric adds a lovely dose of color to the neutral walls.

 And, I really like the fabric paired with the dark woven blinds.

I have one more fun project to share with you in the next couple weeks and then I'll show you the entire room. I love how this room is shaping up, and I'm super excited to share the rest with you!

But first, I'm curious. What's your go-to window treatment when curtains just WON'T work?

ps. If you want to create your own pelmet box, check out the kitchen project here.


11 comments:

  1. Jenn, thanks so much for sharing this. I love it. The room makeover is fantastic. Your blog is looking so fantastic. Like your header a lot!

    I'm renting so I can't rip out carpets & paint, so my little pelmet boxes are going to try to camouflage ugly vertical & horizontal blinds. Every little bit helps, right? haa-haa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. U know I love the pelmet box. That bright floral fabric was a great choice. I love how these bold floral prints are coming back in a new way. Excited to see what the room look like finished.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot wait to see the end result! I know it's going to look great...especially with the orange pops here and there :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that fabric, and you're right, it does look great with the woven blinds!!

    I'm excited to see that storage cabinet that is peeking out of the corner also.... loving all your choices for the room!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that look of the pelmet box. I just replaced the blinds in the rest of our second floor because they were old and gross. I also made some cafe curtains for our kitchen. I agree and really like the choice you made for the guest room. Great clean look.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, this is geeeenius! I love it. Our bedrooms have honeycomb shades and not really enough room for curtains, but they look so...dorm-y, or something. I think I'm going to try something like this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect timing on this post Jenn! I really like faux roman shades (or real ones - they're just a lot more work) when curtains just won't do, but this pelmet box idea is great! We're going to be adding bamboo blinds in our kitchen and dining room down the line and the pelmet box is the perfect way to keep a bit of the curtain fabric "present." Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love them! Also love the mood board for the room - I am so excited to see how everything progresses!

    ReplyDelete
  9. White roman shades (that can come down from the top, or up from the bottom). Purchased (ALWAYS) at JCPenny's once a year 70% off curtain sale.

    The end.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jenn - Where did you get the bamboo roller shade? What a great color! I'm hoping to put bamboo roller shares in my sunroom - thanks!!

    Best,
    Erin
    www.chiccottagecharm.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks all! :)

    And Erin, Chris bought them about 7 years ago at Bed, Bath and Beyond. I think they're pretty standard though, so you might still be able to find them.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! Thanks for stopping by and sharing! :)