2.27.2012

{create} ombre pillow

Happy Monday friends! Did you all have a lovely weekend? Our weekend was fantastic, until our furnace broke last night. On one of the coldest nights of the year so far. But, such is the life of a homeowner. It's being fixed today and it'll all be good :).

Last week I showed you our new living room pillows!

Today I put together a little tutorial for making your own ombre pillow.
I had a couple of white silk-ish pillow cases that I hadn't used in forever. So, I decided to experiment on one of those. I started with two colors of dye ... royal and navy blue. On the package, at least, they looked like they'd make a nice gradient-ombre effect :).

Make sure you read the directions on your dye packages. It tells you all sorts of good stuff like how to prepare the dye-bath, how to rinse and how to wash the fabric after, depending on what type of fabric it is. Good, helpful stuff.

I chose to dye my pillow over a pot on the stove. Once your dye-bath is prepared, put your fabric!




The amount of time your fabric is in the dye bath will determine the richness of the final color. So, I started by putting my fabric over half way in for just a few minutes. In the process, the color will *creep* up a little further, which creates a very cool watercolor-type effect. (Note: the color will creep on certain fabrics more than others. Silk doesn't creep as much as linen will. I think cotton will creep quite a bit too. If you're unsure, try different fabrics before you commit to which you'll use.) Then I pulled it a little out of the water and let it sit for 5-10 minutes (see photo above). Once I was happy with the saturation, I rinsed it while preparing the darker dye. Once prepared I let the very bottom of the pillow sit for another 5-10 minutes, then removed, rinsed and washed. Now, the top of the pillow looks light blue? Because it is :). It was supposed to be cream, but the dye bled a little in the wash and I actually like the light blue a little better. Nice!
 
I'm really happy with how it turned out. So much more interesting than the cream pillow I started with, right? 

So, have you guys ever dyed anything? I remember tye-dying when I was a Girl Scout. After having done this on my own, I can't even imagine the patience of our leaders. A bunch of girls with really messy dye?? I'm sure we were outside :).  Would you guys ever dye something, or is it just too messy??

Update: I am linking this post over at Beth's Tutorials and Tips linky party, and


 
Update 3/13: I'm also linking this up to the Pinterest Party, hosted by Young House Love, Bower Power, The Great Indoors and Hi Sugar.
I have a number of ombre projects on my Pinterest boards, but it was this No. Four Eleven pillow specifically: pinned here, that launched this project.

Come over and check out all the amazing projects!

29 comments:

  1. I love it!! I started dying things last summer & am anxious to do it again, but when we moved, we gave up access to a washer/dryer, so I have to block out some time to use someone else's. :)

    Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I loved that pillow and didn't even realize you had made it yourself! Super impressive. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear your furnace decided to go on the fritz! The joys of home-ownership come in many surprising and unexpected forms, don<t they?

    Your ombre pillow turned out great! I've seen so many tutorials that use Rit dye & have been itching to try something, this is just another kick in the pants. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So fun! Maybe I'll try my hand at it--thanks for the tutorial:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think what it does for that little area on the couch is fantastic - nice work!! You're putting the manufacturers to shame. This process does give me horrors though and I don't think I could try it - or if I did I'd have to do it down in the basement in that tub.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is gorgeous! I'd definitely give it a shot. I love the vibrancy of the blues.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are making tye-dye look good, girl! This is such a cool idea. Love the contrast and pop of color it adds to the sofa!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow! Your pillow looks great. I have been noticing similar color treatments at stores but didn't realize how simple it could be to DIY. I LOVE the intensity of your blues!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have not used dye in many, many years. I love this effect and your pillow is beautiful! Just the perfect punch of color and it accents the rest of your sofa pillows perfectly! Thanks for a great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the ombre look and this is a great project Jenn, you made it look so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great tutorial! I love ombre and this is perfect! It looks like you spent a ton of money! I have added it to my DIY list...

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is beautiful! I need to get my hands on some white/cream pillows! I once died my baby wearing wrap, it definitely was tricky! I'm sure a pillowcase should be a touch easier :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow - this is a fantastic tutorial! I love the pillow - looks like something expensive you'd buy at Pottery Barn :) Going to share on my FB page if that's OK with you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would love it if you shared Katie, thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks really fun! We did alot of dying for our Halloween costumes and I'd definitely be game to trying this too! Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice! Those deep, rich blues lend a lot of visual interest to the room. I'm loving the table sculpture, too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great job and great tutorial
    Thanks for linking up!
    Lots of Love
    Ashli

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks very cool - great job! Fabric dye kind of scares me, but maybe I'll get the courage to try a cool ombre effect one day!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This turned out so beautifully! I love the colors you chose :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love it! Great job, and thanks for linking up with the Winter Pinterest Challenge!

    Erin @ The Great Indoors

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your pillow (and home) is just gorgeous! Glad I found you as well, so nice here! I have this linked to my ombre post as well today, for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Jennifer. I tried this (with a linen cover) and it didn't come out nearly as vibrant as yours did. Now after I rinsed (per the directions) I washed (per the directions) and that's when the muting occurred. Did you heat set first? Or did you follow the RIT directions? Thanks for your help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachel! The fabric I used was a really heavy woven silk, and I'm sure that they type of fabric affects the outcome. I also left the fabric in the dye for quite a while -- I wanted to make sure it was really saturated before washing. But no, I didn't heat set and I rinsed and washed after wards. There was some fading, but I retained most of the color. So, my recommendation is to leave it longer because linen is such a light weight fabric. I hope this helps! :)

      Delete
  23. I want to try this! I have a question though.. did the pillow case have a zipper or something? How did you get the cover off..? Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meri!

      Yes, the pillow had a zipper. Most of my pillows are either zippered or envelope closure ... it helps them be more flexible.

      I'd love to see this if you give it a try! :)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  24. Hi great tutorial. I am a newbie at fabric dyeing and I was trying to figure out, did you mix the two colors together?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jessica,

      I didn't mix the two together. I used one dye, rinsed and then used the next dye. That's what creates the ombre effect. Although, you can mix colors, it will just create a new color -- great for custom colors! :)

      Let me know if you have more questions :)

      Delete

Your comments make my day! Thanks for stopping by and sharing! :)