2.13.2012

{create} peppermint truffles

Happy Monday friends! Did you know that tomorrow is Valentine's Day? I just realized that this weekend. It somehow totally snuck up on me. Luckily, Chris and I don't really celebrate. We actually got engaged on February 1, so we decided early on that we'd celebrate our engagement, instead of V-day. It's a little more personal :). BUT, I did make Chris a yummy Valentine's Day treat this weekend that is so amazing I wanted to share it with you all.

These are so delish. Really. I made extra and brought them to a party on Saturday night and a couple people actually asked for the recipe/if they could PAY me for a couple dozen. 

Peppermint Patty Truffles
Adapted from Elana's Pantry

Ingredients:
  • ½ cup coconut oil
  • ½ cup coconut butter
  • ½ cup honey
  • 1 ½ teaspoons peppermint oil
  • ½ to 1 cup dark chocolate - as dark as you like.

Directions:
  1. Soften or melt coconut oil and coconut butter and then combine in a small bowl with honey and peppermint oil. Freeze the mixture for a few minutes until it starts to harden. Remove from freezer and form little balls. Place back in the freezer to firm them up.
  2. When balls are frozen, melt chocolate. Let it cool a little to thicken up. Dip balls one at a time into melted chocolate.
  3. Use a fork to pull them out and shake excess chocolate off. 
  4. Line the chocolate-coated balls up on a parchment-lined baking sheet and put back in the freezer to harden up.
  5. Coat candies in a second coat of chocolate, if necessary. You can see in number 4 above, the candies weren't completely coated. After few minutes in the freezer I simple remelted the extra chocolate from step 2 and redipped the candies. Much better :).
  6. Store in the refrigerator.


These are a great, easy and totally irresistible treat for any one in your life!

So, tell me do you celebrate Valentine's Day? If so, what's your favorite Valentine's day gift/treat?







13 comments:

  1. Holy goodness...my mouth is watering! These look soooo yummy! I must make next weekend!

    And no, I don't celebrate V-Day. I could go into details about why, but this is a happy place and we won't go to the dark side. The good news is that I don't *hate* V-Day any longer, thanks to a friend and a promise. :)

    Have a great day friend! :)

    eachdayinthislife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally pinning this and possibly making for tomorrow--thanks, girl! Where did you get the coconut butter?? Never heard of it. I guess I could check the health food store?? I use coconut oil all the time--love that stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, check you health food store/whole foods. It is SO TASTY!

      Delete
  3. kill me now... these looks delish!! I make an oreo truffle that's similar, and if these are anything like those, especially considering my obsession with mint things, I will literally eat every single one.

    Question, is there any coconutty-texture, like the shavings give off?? Or is it smooth b/c you're using the butter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, no coconutty texture or taste actually. They are perfectly smooth and delish. :)

      Delete
  4. These look so good! York's are one of my favorite candies so I may have to try these out.

    We don't usually do anything too extravagant for V Day. We generally have a nice dinner at home and maybe light the fireplace, but we're also going to do a small gift exchange this year to change things up.

    MyersMaison.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM! And I just discovered coconut oil the other day and used it in cupcakes for Sheila. She is allergic to eggs, so this was an alternative in a cupcake recipe I found. I'll have to try these sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holly, we just had to cut eggs out too! We'll have to swap recipes :)

      Delete
  6. Yum!! I think I already have all the ingredients, and it looks relatively healthy for a dessert! Pinning this :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. yummy!!! That looks delicious!!!! :)

    http://stylewithoutlimits.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. What can I substitute the honey with? I am allergic to it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Agave is a perfect 1:1 ratio sub for honey.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, I'm thinking about adding these to my Xmas baking list and have the coconut oil, but I've never heard of the butter. Can real butter be substituted? Or, was it easy to come by?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! Thanks for stopping by and sharing! :)