2.08.2012

{inspired} beadboard back splashes

I love it when Chris gives me a good challenge. There have been a couple design decisions I've made that have initially received an eye roll or outright *no*. To which, I have to prove him wrong. Obviously. Most notably was the decision to paint the fireplace white. He was so, so, so against it. Today, he admits it's one of the better  updates we've done on the house. At least he can admit when he's wrong, right? ;) 

We're thinking about updating our kitchen this year. So last weekend I had a wild and crazy idea. What about using beadboard as a backsplash in our kitchen, instead of tile? Using tile has been bothering me because the space we would be tiling is TINY. 

The space I'm referring to here is between the window and bottom of cabinets and the counter. At it's largest, it's no more than 12-inches. I feel like tile, while gorgeous, will just draw attention to the space's weird and disproportionate size. But beadboard, I think, would look effortless and amazing. Chris? Does not share this opinion. I didn't have a specific kitchen in mind when I had this idea, but I was bound to find gorgeous kitchens that use beadboard instead of tile.
Of course I had no problem finding examples. Friends, I present to you, gorgeous kitchen with beadboard back splashes:


bhg via emily


Kitchen Makeover traditional kitchen

Gast Architects: Projects traditional kitchen
houzz

Lovely, right? A tiny bit cottag-y, but I think with the right paint and surrounding decor it doesn't have to lean that way. Lest you think we're anywhere near a kitchen remodel, let me assure you that we're just in the beginning thinking and debating stages. But, you know I'll keep you in the loop each step of the way. Including what we end up deciding on this little issue! :)

So what do you guys think of beadboard back splashes? Would you ever do it, or are you strictly tile lovers?

15 comments:

  1. I replaced our laminate backsplash with tile. Which I love. But I am also totally digging that beadboard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love them! I can't wait to see how yours turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I have been following your blog for a couple of months now, but given the poor state of my own blog I have not had the courage to post. However, this post demanded it.
    I live in PDX in an oldie but goodie and we installed a beadboard backsplash less than a year ago. We love it! It was super cheap and super easy. Here is my entry on it. http://castleandmason.blogspot.com/2011/11/making-backsplash.html

    My pictures don't do it justice but it has worked out great, go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great alternative. It gives the wall an interesting texture and design but is still subtle.

    MyersMaison.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this style...alot! can't wait to see how they turn out :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great choice! I think the vertical will help visually extend the short space where as any tile installation with horizontal grout lines would shorten it. I love cottage-y decor, but think you could definitely make out less so with bold paint. Maybe play up the stripped effect with different colors?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's a brilliant choice! I hope you can talk him into it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i think the breadboard will look great in your kitchen. i could only be pulled off in some homes - and yours fits. DO IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love beadboard! We had it as a back splash in our last kitchen and really liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perfect choice Jenn, now to convince Chris! I don't think it will read too "Cottagey" given your style and the simplicity of it is ideal for the space.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I. Love. It! It's gorgeous, and NOT overdone....everyone has tile. Tile is fab, but beadboard is unique and gorgeous! DO IT! :)

    eachdayinthislife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love them! I think it's a neat way to bring some dimension to a kitchen. Knowing me, I'd prob still stick with a neutral color, but I'd be so in to do it to my house...but it would be a hard choice... tile vs beadboard.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jenn, love the look of a bead board back splash! My parents did this in their Cape house (2 or 3 years ago), and even painted it a lovely taupe...it looks really good. One thing though...practically, behind the sink, its not working out. Because water gets splashed there from washing dishes, etc. the bead board right in that spot is starting to warp/rot, chip and the paint is coming off. My mom says she is eventually going to have to replace that part of the back splash (right behind the sink - everywhere else looks amazing) with tile or some other water resistant surface:( Not sure if this helps or not!

    ReplyDelete
  14. First and last inspiration photos prove that it doesn't need to look cottagey - I think you will rock it. I would definitely use beadboard as a backsplash - the thought of grout really bothers me. If we were to tile I'd do a dark grout. Beadboard just wipe that dirt away, right? Hope you're having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm loving the beadboard backsplash idea for my kitchen remodel, too, but am leaning toward an apron sink with integrated backsplash because of the water damage issue. I love the look/texture of beadboard, though, and the cottage look is fine if it doesn't go over the top. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! Thanks for stopping by and sharing! :)