5.22.2012

{inspired} painted wood floors

Friends, do you all think I'm a crazy tease for dangling a kitchen remodel in front of you and then never talking about it again? Yeah. Me too. :)

We're planning, planning, planning. Which I hope makes the actual doing go by much faster :). We did start to tear up the linoleum in the nook though, and were sadly met with another layer of the hardest, most tightly glued and waterproof linoleum. EVER. Seriously, this stuff is NOT budging. We still want to pull it up and try to salvage the hardwoods, because when we're done the kitchen will open up to the living room and it'll just look much better if the floors flow.

In the meantime though, I've been considering options in case we damage some of the hardwood pulling up the linoleum. One idea I've always loved - even before the linoleum debacle - are painted wood floors. Whether stencils, stripes, cafe-style or solid, I think there is something so charming about hardwood + paint. As a bonus, it hides blemishes :).







Has any of you ever painted your wood floors? What about just admired painted wood floors? 
Don't worry, I have more kitchen updates coming this week! :)

9 comments:

  1. I looove painted floors! I have had that first image (the one with the cat) saved for forever. I wish I had the chance and the confidence to pull of a patterned one somewhere, it would be so cool! Can't wait to hear more about the kitchen:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I paint my kitchen floors with porch paint and I paint it to go with whatever window treatments I've got going on at the time - it's fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That top image makes me want to sand and paint my still-newish hardwoods. LOVE the way the painted floors look!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think you're a tease at all - just thoughtful planners rigging something real good up out there. I have not painted floors but I love the look and that you can really do so many things. That last feature from HB is one of my favorites, Lindsey Harper I believe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great backup plan. I love the pink chevron floors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love painted floors and what a gorgeous collection you've pulled together. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. After ripping out multiple layers of flooring (linoleum, parquet, plywood subfloor, etc), we found the original pine floorboards in our upstairs. They were painted oxblood and mustard yellow, so we decided to re-paint them black. I think it turned out quite well. :)

    Oh, I particularly like that pink chevron floor!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey chica! I've got PLENTY of experience painting wooden floors. A few thoughts: 1. they look WAY more 'rustic' than you think they will. 2. SHUT DOORS AND WINDOWS when you're painting them, because you will see EVERYTHING that flies/falls/drifts onto the floors while drying. In particular? Don't paint ANYTHING when spring and fall pollen are at their peak. See our kitchen floor images for how they turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have painted our enclosed sunporch floors with exterior grade paint so it's weather resistant. It has worn well and plan to paint our attic floors at some point too! I had a friend who painted checkers in her kitchen and I love it!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! Thanks for stopping by and sharing! :)