5.29.2012

{renovate: the kitchen} it's demo time!

Friends, it's official. We no longer have a kitchen! And, it's really weird. I thought I'd take you on a journey of what the kitchen went through this weekend. I was, in fact, enjoying time away, but I had Chris taking photos. Of course. So, the guy in all the photos isn't Chris .... it's his best friend and general contractor. Yah for great friends! :)

When I left for the beach on Saturday morning, the wall between the kitchen and living room looked like this.
And then this happened ....


And now, it looks like this ....
ps. The next step is to take the majority of that wall out. YAH! :)

The window wall started out looking like this ...


Then this ....

And now.... nothing.
The space heading out the back door looked like this:


 Then this.
And now there's nothing also (forgot that pic! :)

The ceiling also came out.

Which led to a lot of really old insulation. Everywhere. Seriously. They were still cleaning it up yesterday when I got home.

There's our roof/attic!




The guys also managed to get up both layers of linoleum, which honestly, was the part I was dreading most. 

So, it's a start. It was a little surreal to come home to this big gaping hole in the middle of our house, but it's also very motivating to get it finished! :) I have a couple more kitchen posts lined up for you this week -- including the reasons why we decided for a full gut, instead of working with what we have, and an mood board for the space! 

Did anyone else gut something this weekend? Or, start/finish any home projects? I'd love to hear about them!



14 comments:

  1. I can testify that pulling up two layers of linoleum is indeed hard work and not at all fun. Hope you got a nice thank you planned for those guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is exciting! Can't wait to see what you have in store!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is awesome!! I can't wait to see how it all comes out--and I love your inspiration boards!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I honestly can't wait til my kitchen looks like yours! Very soon! I'm excited to see what comes next, and your mood board. Congrats on the start of the reno!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yahoo! Let the the fun begin! Can't wait to see your layout and plans....!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy moly! What a change, so fun!!! Are you going to vault the ceiling there where the attic is? Can't wait to see more!! (How are you handling not having a kitchen to cook in?)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is really exciting! It is such a shock to see it completely gutted like that but that means the fun has begun - woo hoo!!!! Looking forward to more updates....and to find out everything that you've chosen too. I'm itching to see your choices.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy crap. When you said gut, you meant gut! Can't wait to see progress pics!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Isn't tear out fun??? I love when you remove old walls and open up a space to see all the light filtering in. It's messy and a little scary but in the end it's always worth it. Hope you guys are enjoying the use of your BBQ while you're kitchen-less!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh my goodness! SO exciting! I'm so excited to see the progress!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow!! You must have been so terrified/delighted when you got home! Can't wait to see the mood board! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. So exciting. Doesn't it look strange now totally gutted. I bet that's still weird for you to come around the corner and go "oh yeah, the kitchen's gone." Can't wait to see what you are going to do.

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW!! The guys did great work! HOORAY for new kitchens! I can't wait to see the progress!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! Thanks for stopping by and sharing! :)