5.07.2012

Lately ....

Friends, did anyone happen to read up on some of the "Things I'm Afraid to Tell You" series last week? If not, I have to recommend it. It's truly brave and inspiring when people let down their guard and open up their lives a little, don't you think?


In that vein, I wanted to share with you why I've been a little hit or miss on the blog lately. You all are so encouraging and supportive and I wanted to assure you that I LOVE this space and I haven't forgotten about you! Some of you know this, but for others this might be news: my husband is sick. Like, really sick. He's has Crohn's, an auto-immune disorder, and symptoms come and go. But it reared it's ugly head in a worse way than ever over the holidays. A test confirmed that it is in fact worse than it ever has been and so we've been working incredibly closely with our naturopath for the last few months to get it back into remission. We truly believe that we can heal this through food and not the crazy scary medicines -- with even crazier side effects -- that doctors want to put him on. Seriously. The options are not good.
All said, most of my energy outside of work has been focused on Chris lately. I've done little projects for the blog here and there, but there are just some weeks I'm way too spent to do a project or focus on what's inspiring me. I didn't realize how much energy I was putting into this until the last week or two. I have a whole new appreciation for the healthy husbands and wives that are fighting even more serious diseases with their spouses. 


Just to give you an idea of what we're up to, we've been: researching, going to acupuncture appointments, doctor appointments, cutting grains out of our diet (we've been gluten free for awhile) and we just completed a three week juice fast. Crazy, right? But the thing that has taken me by surprise the most is how I would do ANYTHING to make sure my husband it healthy. Anything. I don't even think I realized the depth of my commitment to him ran until we began fighting this. Together. The encouraging part in all this is that every step we've taken has led us closer to figuring out what's best for Chris. We've finally settled on a diet that has a great track record of healing people with Crohn's. We laid out our plan for implementing the diet this weekend and so I'm hoping the worst part is over. It can take months and months to send Crohn's into remission, but we both feel that we're making huge positive steps towards that and Chris is starting to feel better all ready.

Friends, THANK YOU for hanging in there with me over the past few weeks and months. I'm working really hard to be here and be present, but I really appreciate the understanding when I'm not :).

Happy Monday all!

Photos, in order: society 6etsy, anthro

16 comments:

  1. Oh my word! I'm so sorry, Jenn, I don't even know what to say! Can't imagine what you guys are going through, but it sounds like you are being a wonderful support system for your husband...and that is the most important thing ever. DO NOT worry about blogging...I feel so stupid now even writing about something so insubstantial as a blog makeover! I hope this new diet will help him, good luck and you'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness Jenn, that is a lot to deal with! Poor Chris, I hope he is feeling better and that the silver lining in all of this is how it draws you two together as you work through it all. The healthy eating sounds like it will benefit you both. I too would do ANYTHING for my husband's health. Thanks for your candor and hang in there, both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear about your husband! I completely sympathize. Over the last few months my husband had symptoms similar to Crohn's and we were doing some crazy diets too. Are you trying FODMAPS? We never did find an answer/diagnosis, but he's started feeling better out of nowhere. I know Crohn's is so much worse that what he's dealing with, so I hope that Chris starts feeling better soon! He's lucky to have a wife who will do whatever it takes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy that Chris is starting to feel better. It's great that you guys are taking the natural route rather than all of those icky drugs. You are a wonderful wife. Love is a powerful thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! I can't imagine what he is going through but I am inspired by your strength and encouragement to Chris. I hope he gets to feeling much better soon and this new diet is exactly what he needed! You two will be in my thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh geez! So sorry you guys have to struggle with this, but I will keep you both in my thoughts. Here's hoping the diet helps!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness... I'm teary over here! Your love and commitment is a beautiful things, and will overcome any sickness. I wish you guys all the best and you'll be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have followed a few posts here and there dedicated to "Things I'm Afraid to Tell You" and I can't tell you how strong it is of you to be able to share this, Jenn. Every time you write about your husband I can feel the love pouring out from your words - I mean that. You always write such endearing things and I know that is what will get him through all of this. You do what you need to do and we'll always be here reading and supporting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sending wishes for a treatment plan that works for your hubby so you both can enjoy life again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jenn, so glad you shared this with us. Sometimes you forget when reading blogs that there's real people behind the other screen, with struggles just like you. So sorry to hear about your husband's condition. But I'm very encouraged to hear that you're tackling this through good nutrition (and not drugs). That's one thing I've learned over the past year while watching myself, friends and family struggle with health issues--we ARE what we eat. Praying that things turn around quickly for your husband and for a renewed strength for you at this time as well. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so sorry you guys are going through this. You both are in my thoughts and prayers. Always remember someone in Texas loves you both <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. For a while, there were questions about whether I had Crohn's. I don't - and was still miserable for a long time. And every once in a while now. Yuck. I'm sorry for Chris.

    A friend of mine has Crohn's and eventually went with drugs - but not exactly the kind you are thinking of. Just mass quantities of weed...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jenn, I love you! And I love Chris! And this post. You do amazing work and I'm so proud (sorry...weird word! HA!) of you for committing so very much of yourself to getting him healthy! You two are amazing people and I'm so thankful that you're in my life!

    P.S. Don't write like this anymore...you made me cry. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, thanks for sharing with us. I love blogging for the outlet it gives me. I've been so surprised by the support I've received with my own health struggles from my imaginary internet friends (versus my in real life people).

    I don't have Chron's but I do have an auto-immune disorder and a killer case of GERD so I know how they can take over your life. Chris is so lucky to have you! Good luck on the naturepath remedies. I've gone back & forth between entirely grain free and gluten-free and find that it's so much easier to cook in the summer because of the fresh produce available.

    Keep us posted - we're all here for you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just back from being "off the grid" for a few days. I send you both my best wishes. We have had a year of health problems & other family emergencies that has definitely made me more grateful for everything and forced me to put things in priority and perspective. Your challenges are felt with compassion and understanding. Hoping for you both that good health comes as quickly as possible. You are both lucky to have each other from what I can see. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh friend...I'm just now getting around to reading past blog post and I pray that this new diet really does the trick!! lots of hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! Thanks for stopping by and sharing! :)