5.24.2012

{inspired} a graphical kitchen brain dump

Tell me if you can relate to this friends. You're updating or remodeling your home. You have a gazillion ideas - yes, that's a lot - and you're trying to communicate those ideas to your spouse/partner/roommate. And, somehow they just don't get it! 

I thought I'd show you the craziness that is my original brain dump for our upcoming kitchen remodel. I had a gazillion ideas and couldn't decide on anything. I had them all pinned, but flipping back and forth between pins was getting annoying. Meanwhile, Chris was visibly having trouble keeping all my ideas straight and had ideas of his own.

So I put all our ideas + sources + prices together in one big brain dump - graphic brain dump, if you will - and came up with this:
It worked like a charm! When we had everything in one place it made it SO EASY to decide what we like, what we didn't like, and what worked together to create the look we're going for in our kitchen.

We're looking at lights now, so I starting adding my favorite lighting to the mix as well.

We have a couple more ideas to pull together before I create the mood board we'll actually work off. But, I thought you guys might be interested in the process. It was a tiny bit time consuming to create this chart, of sorts, but worth it in the end because it actually helped us to communicate much more efficiently and make decisions quicker. I'm always willing to spend a little more time for that kind of result! :)

I have sources and prices listed here, but if you'd like actual links you can find all of these on my Pinterest pages.

6 comments:

  1. I totally get that. When I was trying to show Ryan wedding ideas on Pinterest, he quickly tired of the flipping back and forth. Smart idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! Love it. I can see this being very helpful for the gentlemen in our lives...faucets just all start looking the same after a while;) You have some tough choices to make--love all your picks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooohh, nice vision! Your kitchen is going to look amazing when you're done. Love all of the options that you listed.

    There's a way to DIY that first light fixture for $20 that I saw on a blog yesterday. I pinned it to my DIY board if you're interested :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE where you are going on this renovation! Your "chart" is an excellent concept! I actually do this occasionally for some of my clients, it works like a charm!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So smart. That makes if all feel vastly less overwhelming. Can't wait to see how it all comes together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea! I often do moodboards but for my own home I never seem to finish them properly. This is a great idea fo see everything together. I have so many idea changes on individual elements that my boy just doesn't bother keeping up any more. Most of the time he can't tell if I'm talking about our kitchen, our bedroom or a client's house! xx

    Anna (My Design Ethos)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! Thanks for stopping by and sharing! :)