7.11.2012

{renovate} front door decorative window film

Thank you all for your comments about our front door update! Today, let's talk about the new window treatment.


I made the curtain for the door window in early 2010. It was time for a change. Actually, it's been time for a change for awhile, but I didn't know what to do. The curtain just didn't look right -- a little sloppy maybe? I researched fabric for awhile, but my heart just wasn't into it. So here's where I admit that I totally copied someone else's idea. Because, it was brilliant! And simple! The idea came from Seventh House on the Left I knew immediately that this is what my front door needed. I mean, come on. She made a window film out of plain ole simple contact paper. Sweet! Thank you Ashley!

And, we love it. It doesn't draw a lot of attention, but it's graphical and simple and does it's duty, namely giving us some privacy :). The shape is actually the shape of our new kitchen tiles and I love that it'll tie the living room and kitchen together in a subtle way. Ashley actually has a great tutorial and template, which you can check out here. But in case you'd like to do this at home, I do have one tip that Ashley doesn't cover.


You want the contact paper to lay flat, flat, flat. No bubbles. And, the best way to do this is with this handy tool: a bondo spreader. I actually picked this guy up at Haven, but they're available at any hardware store. The best method is to attach the sticky side of the contact paper with your hands and gently smooth with your fingers. Then, smooth out any bubbles or imperfections with the spreader. I actually smoothed out some pretty rigid wrinkles with this guy! 


This easy trick will leave you with a smooth professionally-applied looking finish.


And a view from the other side of the door. Love! My one concern was whether this would hold up against heat. We don't have AC and it get HOT in our house! But, we've had high 80's/low 90's all week and so far it's great. I'll let you know if that changes :)

Have you guys ever used contact paper in a creative and unique way? Who knew it could be used for more than lining drawers :).

14 comments:

  1. It looks fantastic! I love the graphic-ness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! Love that it still lets in light while keeping the privacy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great solution. I love the design, but even more, this looks so clean! Effortless, yet elegant. Seems like a fun project too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woooooow Jen!! I really love this change! Your door looks great!! I love the window effect and black colour

    XOXO!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ahhhhhh love love love it! I have been debating on doing this for a lil while and I think you just convinced me! <3

    love ya dollface!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's contact paper? I love it. Easy, inexpensive, and packs a huge punch. I LOVE the front of the door even more than the back side (is that the back side? ha!) Way to go Jenn - I bet it makes you smile.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw this project on 7th House's site a while back and thought it was a great solution...still do! Yours looks fab. I'm totally doing this to our "new" (antique oak) front door when it gets installed. I love that the light still comes in but there's also privacy...and since our door will be facing a busy road, it's the perfect solution! Thanks for the inspiration:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a great idea and I love the design.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my! I love it! Great work friend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks SO great! Such an awesome solution.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it - thanks for sharing (especially the bondo tip)! I have a plan for this and some gold contact paper...fingers crossed it won't end in disaster.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, what a cool idea! I love making my own sort of stencils with freezer paper, and this is an even cooler thing to do! The door looks great, too, so fun to have a contrasting interior door!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good call on using the bondo spreader! I used one of these guys when I put up wallpaper in our bathroom. They come in handy for sure!

    I absolutely loved this project when Ashley did it, and I love the way yours turned out, too. I'm thinking I might have to tackle a similar project for our side door!

    Erin @ The Great Indoors

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! Thanks for stopping by and sharing! :)