3.16.2012

{create} twig pendant

Happy Friday friends!
First, thank you all for the kind words about my twig lamp experiment! Second, I'm back today to give the instructions to create one of your very own :).


I mentioned this Wednesday, but I'd actually been working on this project - off and on - since the beginning of January. It was so slow going, because I was having a hard time figuring out the best way to approach it. I started thinking that I could simply hot glue the sticks to the pendant. But that was a bust. The twigs are much to taut to stay with glue when bent at such an angle. So, then I started playing with wire, but it was taking FOREVER. I finally figured out a way to make the sticks secure and help move the project along at a faster clip and that is the method I'm sharing with you today! 

NOTE: I took amazing photos of my process as I was building the lamp, and then proceeded to accidentally delete them when I was downloading other photos off my camera. SO SAD! I've recreate the process here, using foam core, just to give you an idea of the basic method.


Instructions:
  1. For 90% of the project, I used basic wire from a craft store. It worked fine. But, I ran out and didn't want to go to the store, which is how I ended up with airplane quality unbreakable wire. Thanks husband! My light is extra secure :).
  2. Cut a piece of wire that's about two inches long. You need enough wire to wrap around the twigs and then twist to secure.
  3. Poke two holes in the lamp shade, on either side of where you want to secure your twig. I actually used a thumbtack and it worked so well.
  4. Thread your wire through the two holes, around the twig, and, with your pliers, twist to secure.
  5. With your wire cutter, remove the excess wire, and tuck it neatly around the twig.
  6. Repeat every 6-7 inches, wrapping and securing the twig to the shade.
With those simple instructions, your twig will be securely fastened to the shade. Now, the main trick for making this go faster?! Groups of THREE. Group together three twigs, secure with wire and then proceed with the above instructions. It will go so much faster. Also, when you secure the twigs to the shade, make sure you stagger the starting points. This will help the shade look more organic, and evenly distributed.


Lastly, when I'd finished with the wire, I noticed I had some gaping holes. I wanted a few holes because it would let the light through (see photo above), just not huge obvious ones. This is where hot glue came in handy. I simply took the thinnest twigs I could find and glued them into the biggest holes. They filled up the space nicely, and actually made the shade look a little fuller.

I hope this tutorial helps. Please let me know, in the comments, if you have any questions and I'll clarify or update the post. AND, let me know if you make one -- I'd love to see other people's version.

Have a great weekend friends!


4 comments:

  1. I have definitely bookmarked this project. It's not right for what we have going on in any of our rooms now, but I have a "someday" room in my head that I think this would be perfect for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to find a place for one of these! Thanks for the (recreated) tutorial! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where did you find the orange leaf duvet cove? Also, what paint color is that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The duvet is actually from dwell studio about three years ago. And, the wall paint is Miller Paint, in Divine Storm. Hope that helps! :)

      Delete

Your comments make my day! Thanks for stopping by and sharing! :)