3.21.2012

{create} scrappy garland

In my post Monday, about my updated-for-spring mantle, I showed you guys my new fireplace garland. Today, I'll show you how to make it :).

For the last couple years, this is what the garland on our fireplace looked like. Does anyone else out there get completely lazy when it comes to changing up decor accessories? The flower garland is adorable (and you can learn how to make one of your own here), but it was time for something new. 

And new came in the form of a bright, colorful, ombre-esqu fabric garland.

The trick to creating one of these is the knot. A regular knot will not lie flat. See, I tied one to show you: 

You want all your fabric to lie nice and flat, because then the garland will hang nicer. Below is a tying method that works great.

A few notes: I used fabric that I had on hand (see note above about lazy ;). I cut the scraps into approximately 1" wide by 24" long strips, but you can tell by the photo above that I wasn't terribly precise. I cut six strips of each fabric, so there would be three strips of fabric on each side of the garland. As you can see above, I laid it out before hand to make sure I like the look before proceeding.


I've been wanting to make one of these forever, but was trying to figure what upcoming party or celebration it would work for. Finally I decided the celebration of spring is as good a party as any, so I went ahead and made the garland. My point is that I don't think you need a special celebration or event to liven up your house. I think little touches such as cute garlands add a touch of fun and whimsy and make everyday life feel a little celebratory. And who couldn't use a little more of that in their life? :)

So friends, tell me. How to you inject a little bit of celebration into everyday life?


*Update: I'm linking up to the Spring Craft Link Party at Centsational Girl.

9 comments:

  1. You are so right about that Jenn - every day is a celebration, every minute, every second should be a celebration of this miracle of life. And now your adorable fabric garland...I have to try this somewhere or for someone. I'm thinking even over a crib or changing table for a nursery - adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! It is always time for celebration and whimsy in the home :) We still have Ryan's birthday banner on our "special occasion wall" in the living room, one month later, because we have nothing else to put there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love those fireplace garlands! now i just need a gorgeous fireplace! ;)

    p.s. i celebrate little moments in life through food, haha!

    <3, Mimi
    http://whatmimiwrites.blogspot.com/
    Fashion To Figure Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! Love the ombre-ish look!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love garlands hanging on the mantel and this is too cute! I'm glad you shared pointers on how to tie it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such pretty garland! Thanks for the tip on tying it right too - I would've just gotten frustrated and wondered what was wrong with me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is really cute! What is the writing on the mirror?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer! You can read more about the mirror here: http://ahomeinthemaking.blogspot.com/2011/11/create-writing-on-mirror.html

      Delete
  8. Jenn I absolutely LOVE this! I think I will give it a go and if it turns out I may put it on the blog...will give you all the inspiration credit!!!! lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! Thanks for stopping by and sharing! :)