3.26.2012

{renovate} the KITCHEN!

Friends, we made an exciting purchase this weekend:

Yep, a wall mount microwave and oven! OMG. We've been teetering on the edge of starting a kitchen remodel and with this purchase, we're going for it. YAH! :) The best part is that we found it on Craigslist for less than $400. And it is IMMACULATE. Seriously. From a immaculate home, looks like it's never been used, just a few years old. The previous owners just wanted to upgrade to stainless. We'll go ahead and take advantage of that. 

Some of you might be wondering about that actually ... our decision to stick with white a appliances if we're remodeling. There's a couple reasons. The first is that our existing appliances, and most importantly our fridge, is white. Buying all new appliances is out of our budget, but it's also not something we want to do, which leads to the second reason. While I think that stainless is beautiful, I've never really thought it fit the character and age of our home. It's strictly a personal decision. I've seen tons of older homes that pull it off beautifully. But when we originally bought the fridge a few years ago, we put a lot of thought into stainless verses white. I've never regretted the white. This decision actually came in very handy when we decided to look for a used oven. Most of the appliances listed on Craigslist are there because people are upgrading to stainless. So, if you're looking for white or black, there are some incredibly new and inexpensive appliances for sale out there.

We're still in the beginnings of our planning and budgeting phases. So, I'll be back with tons more information about our inspiration, our choices, time frame, goals and budget. I was just busting at the seams to share this with you though :).



One decision that we have made, that I will give you a good idea about the scope of this project, is that we're tearing down the wall between the living room and the kitchen! Yep, that wall above! Will be gone! (I think the post ranks #1 in my entire history for exclamation point use. Can you tell I'm excited? :) Hence the wall mount oven :). I've been trying to figure out a way to open up the space since I moved in. But, that wall has a lot of storage, so to get the storage back, we'll be installing an island. Big changes, my friends, big changes.

Have any of you gone through a kitchen remodel? How long were you without a sink or an oven? I'm a little frightened :). Any big changes in your home this spring??

14 comments:

  1. I love CL finds! Sounds like you scored quite a deal! Looking forward to seeing what you have up your sleeve for the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting!

    If we had had space to go with a vintage O'Keefe stove in our kitchen update I probably would have chosen white for our fridge and dishwasher, but we ended up buying the same stove we had in our loft - a SS KitchenAid - so that pretty much set the tone for the rest of the appliances. I've tried to make it seem more cohesive by using brushed nickle frames in the room, but I can see what you mean about SS not necessarily fitting with a house of a certain age. With our place having been remodeled in the 80s I felt like we had less of that to deal with though since all the character had been previously stripped. :-(

    Can't wait to see how this turns out. I am immensely jealous of folks with islands. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I so badly want to start a kitchen remodel! Appliances are what is holding us back! We have 80's/90's off-white almond color now and so a complete overhaul is in store before we can start! I am excited to see how yours turns out!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This. Is. So. Exciting!!!!!

    Can't wait to see all the changes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Big changes! So glad it worked out for you guys to tear down that wall - it will be life changing:). And, such a STEAL OF A DEAL on Craigslist. Go you guys! Can't wait to be along for the ride:).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE the new blog design. I'm gaga in awe. Perfection. Now about the kitchen. I have to say that I feel like stainless steel has had it's 15 mins. Once everyone thinks it's the only thing they can have, it's time to move to something more interesting. In a few years stainless steel is going to be the avocado appliances of the 70s. I'm glad you didn't get sucked into it. ;) Being different is SO FRESH! Can't wait to see what's to come in the kitchen! So happy for you on pretty blog & exciting new kitchen changes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE the new appliances! Wow, I can't wait to see how your kitchen is going to turn out.

    Also, I love the new blog design! It's so fun to change up the design every now and then :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. WEEEEEE!! Kitchen remodels can be so fun. Stressful but fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is VERY exciting, Jenn. But first big props for the next look to the blog - love the new look! We did a full kitchen remodel in 2009 and it was worth every single penny and ounce of not being able to use the appliances for a small period of time. We did not go a long time without our sink or other appliances. We set up a make shift area that housed the microwave, toaster oven, and our everyday essentials but for the most part our sink was in use for all of about 2 days or so. I can tell you that opening up your kitchen is going to be awesome. I can't imagine not having our kitchen opened up now. I'm actually going to really miss our kitchen when it comes time to move because as small as our house is the kitchen is a decent size and has our touch on it. Enjoy the process and can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yippee Jenn, that is exciting stuff! With your ideas and creative touches, this kitchen is gonna rock. Love that you are opening up that wall, with a new island, you will more than make up for the storage on it. Keep us posted along the way... and I'm with Holly, fabulous new blog design!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats! How exciting to be starting a kitchen reno! I am eager to hear more about your plans.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is SO exciting! :) New appliances are fun anyway, but especially if they signal the start of a remodel!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We are wanting to do white appliances in our kitchen renovation, too. The previous owners put in stainless just before selling, and they are just too "heavy." Can't wait to watch your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay! I'm so excited to see how your kitchen turns out, and all the adventures along the way :) Great craigslist find! We got our wall mount microwave and oven at the ReStore... it was almost a year ago and I'm STILL excited about it!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! Thanks for stopping by and sharing! :)