3.14.2012

{pinterest party} twig pendant

Today I'm super excited to reveal my latest diy project. I'm linking up to the Pinterest Party, hosted by Young House Love, Bower Power, The Great Indoors and Hi Sugarplum, and this party could not have come at a better time. Mostly because it was the kick in the pants I need to finish the project that's been sitting half-finished in my basement since .... the beginning of January. Wah-wah. BUT, it's done and I could not be happier. 

The Problem.
When I moved into our house, the lighting was horrible: outdated, dingy and in some places simply missing. Slowly we've been replacing each out-dated light with something fancy, bright and fun: a capiz pendant in the nook, a drum shade in the living room, a pendant in the back entry, a new lovely in the hallway and new outdoors lights at both doors. We were down to one awful light left: a builder-basic fan in our bedroom.


Ick. I knew I didn't want a fan in the space ... we've used the existing one all of twice in the last two years. For a while I thought about installing the CB2's Eden Pendant (the same one as our living room). But then inspiration struck.

The Inspiration.
Inspiration is a funny thing, right? I LOVE branches. Besides making an amazing statement in any room, they also bring the outdoors in and give the room an instant laid-back, rustic feel. All things that fit perfectly with our house style.

The first inspiration pin is from Sweet Paul Magazine. Which, actually reminds me that it's time to go cut a few branches off our plum tree and bring them in!

The second inspiration is a hanging twig lamp from The Light Store.

I liked these both, but I wasn't sure what to do with it. But, like I said, inspiration is a funny thing. These two images hung out in brain until a walk through Ikea.

Solution.
I came across these twigs at IKEA:
While innocent enough, my brain made a huge connection. I have a small collection of pendant shades at home. Why not combine the two? So I snatched up the twigs and set out creating my own twig light. Fast forward three months later, and I have the finished product!

The twigs went from that bundle, to this lovely light!


It all started with a simple, cream pendant.
(10 points to anyone who can name the show I was watching.)

And hanging up? Gorgeousness.
I love that it adds a touch of rustic and texture to the space. I thought about painting it white, but I actually really love the contrast of the natural brown.


Here's the lamp at {sort of} dark. It glows :).

Updated: If you'd like to make your own twig pendant, I've posted a tutorial here.

So tell me friends .... have you ever made anything out of twigs? In what ways to bring the outdoors in? 

36 comments:

  1. Oh the light is fun and the texture is great! Great use of the huge bundle from Ikea! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so COOL! I love it! And I love your bedding, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep hoping and praying that Ikea will move closer to where I live. Used to go there all the time in London (UK) but the closest one is an hour away! Gorgeous light fixture and you had a great vision to transform a standard drum shade. I think it would blend in if you had painted it white - love it like this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really like the look of the pendant! And the bedding is fab too! Is the show Bones?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It *does* look like Angela, doesn't it?

      Delete
    2. Yep, good job ladies! Love that show :)

      Delete
  5. Very clever! Love the crazy shape and texture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your version of the pendant lamp. I also really like the color scheme in the rest of the bedroom!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loving the texture! Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH MY GOODNESS! That is beautiful! I am pinning that one and hopefully find a time to recreate for my home!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea and execution! I love the rustic feel, and it looks especially great when the light is on.

    MyersMaison.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bones! Three points, please!
    (Love the pendant!)


    http://nightgardendesign.blogspot.com/2012/03/key-nook-stenciled-make-over.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. That texture is so amazing! And it looks great against the bedspread - darling!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You did an amazing job! Its so different and cool - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks terrific!! I love the wispy branches sticking off the sides. Don't you love it when your brain makes those random connections! I swear, it's where the best DIY ideas come from!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is so cool. I love the way the branches stick out and make it look so natural.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow this is fantastic! Such a great way to add some organic texture to the room. Swoon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't done twigs inside but I spray painted some black in the fall and put them out front on our porch. You are so good - this looks awesome in your bedroom and the perfect way to bring the outdoors in! I was just at a friends house and she had the best branches on her back porch - you would have loved them. They were the squiggly ones (what kind of tree is that?) - they were great and I almost suggested she break some off that very moment and throw them in a vase - ha!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Applause! Well done. I love how it looks with the light on. I am so impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that! It looks amazing. Can't wait for the tutorial on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jenn, this is entirely too clever! What a creative spin on a drum shade light and so perfect in your master. I have a few lights in my house needing a facelift, can I send them to you for a swoon worthy update?!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love this (and your bedding too)! I like how the branches tie in with the branches in the silhouette print next to the window :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love it! Yours is so much better than the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love that shade. It's a perfect combination of natural and sophisticated. Nicely done!

    I once made a headboard from sassafras branches. If you got real close, it smelled like root beer!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Woah!! This is crazy!!! Crazy Awesome! Great job on getting it done and it looking so fabulous!!! How cool, I never ever would have thought to do that:) Love how it ties in to the organic bedding too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Found you via the Pinterest party, and just wanted to say so glad you decided not to paint them white. I think the dark color looks great--love the mix of grey, orange and brown.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This light is amazing! Love your wall color too!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Can't stinking wait for the tutorial!!! i LOVE this light! What a cool DIY! (that's a lot of exclaiming...)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh my goodness, this is incredible!! It looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Gorgeous colors in this room - I love the lamp. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Whoooooooaaaaa. This is STUNNING. I'm blown away. It looks like it cost a bazillion dollars! I LOOOOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is seriously like the coolest thing I have seen all day! I love it!!! I would so love it if you could share your cool shade at my transformation party this week, it will definitely be a hit! Thanks so much for inspiring me!!! Here's the link if you're interested, have a fab weekend! http://www.thescottscrib.com/2012/03/lathriftas-cheap-finds-and_16.html

    ReplyDelete
  31. Jenn, it is crazy cool!! Love that texture in the room and the ambiance at night! Fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete
  32. This looks fun! Great job, and thanks for linking up AGAIN to the Pinterest fun! :-)

    Erin @ The Great Indoors

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! Thanks for stopping by and sharing! :)